Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Still Scanning After All These Years

This morning I'm back to scanning to .PDF files the massive amounts of paper that I've collected over the years in doing genealogy work. When I married, my wife told me that I needed to get rid of the 5-drawer and 3-drawer filing cabinets that I had stuffed full of notes and research. I believe that I ended up with over 20 boxes of paperwork, all of which was not very organized.

To prevent data loss, I've been scanning them into files and burning CDs so that I can preserve the information for my children. Plus, it will make it easier to organize. So much of this information has not been sourced into my Family Tree Maker database, I may even hold the answer to some old family mystery right under my nose.

It is a slow process, but when completed, it will not only save storage space in my garage, but will allow me to organize & update my database. At least, that is what I am telling myself.

No comments: