Saturday, November 18, 2006

Genealogy by Telephone

Almost a month and a half ago, I received an email from my sister-in-law telling me that a man named Mark Wilkins had called and left a message on their answering machine wanting to talk about family history. Being the procrastinator that I am, I finally decided to call Mr. Wilkins today and find out what branch of the family tree he was from.

Turns out that he is related to my daughter's ancestry, through the Chivlare and Followay lines down in Warrick Co., IN. Interestingly, my Senior Pastor at Sunnycrest Baptist in Marion is named Scott Wilkins, and is from the Owensboro, KY area where Mark Wilkins has family, so it may be a small world after all.

We spent over a half hour on the phone sharing information, and he promised to send me some papers that he had collected. Seems that a lady has been working on the Followay line - which may include some Cherokee blood - and has promised to send Mark a book on the family tree. She had somehow run across my name and information through one of my internet posts, and that is how he contacted me.

Hopefully, after Thanksgiving, he will have this book and more information on the Followay line, and in the meantime he is suppossed to send me what he has on the Chivlare line. As I told him, even though it is not my direct line, I'm interested in preserving this history for my daughter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I came across your comments on family history by accident while browsing the internet. The name "Falloway" caught my eye. That was the family name of my grandmother on my mother's side who originally came from the Owensboro, Kentucky area. (Her married name was Mankins). I was always told when growing up in southern Indiana (Evansville)that we had Cherokee blood in us (in addition to my French and German lineage). My mother's name was Flora Drash, but her maiden name was Chivlare. It is my understanding based on oral family history that my mother's great grandfather named Chevalier/Chivlare married a Cherokee woman in the early 1800's. I just thought this message of yours sort of confirmed what I had always been told about my family's history on my mother's side. Thanks for the information.

Layne Drash
lad308@comcast.net