Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Haunting Errors of World Family Tree

Back when I first started putting my genealogy data into Family Tree Maker, I made the novice mistake of importing data from the World Family Tree files that came along with the software. While this data provided many clues for further research, so much of it was not sourced that it is practically useless and full of errors. I have attempted to slowly and methodically eliminate any traces of this imported data from my database, but unfortunately some still remains.

Case in point is a recent WorldConnect post-em regarding a marriage record of Thomas Swafford and Nellie Howard. I have the date as 1800 in Bledsoe Co., TN with a source of WFT. However, as the poster pointed out, Bledsoe Co., TN was not even formed until 1801, so the location is wrong.

No comments: