My maternal great-great grandfather, William Francis Pierce and his second wife, Vida (Maddox) Pierce are buried in the Maplewood Cemetery, Anderson, Madison County, Indiana. William's first wife, Clara (Pennisten) Pierce, is also buried in the cemetery, but I did not find a marker for her.
William was born July 10, 1865 in Frankton, Madison County, Indiana, the son of Edmund G. and Catherine (Groenendyke) Pierce.
Clara was born March 1869 in Madison County, Indiana, the daughter of John and Jane Ann (Alderman) Pennisten.
Vida was born October 6, 1886 in Owingsville, Bath County, Kentucky, the daughter of Charles W. and Sarah (Powell) Maddox.
William and Clara were married on January 14, 1892 in Madison County, Indiana. After Clara's death, William married Vida on March 4, 1909 in Madison County, Indiana.
William & Clara lived in Lafayette Township, Madison County, Indiana where William was a farmer. His obituary stated that he was ill for three years before his death.
William died on September 21, 1950 in Alexandria, Madison County, Indiana. Clara died September 26, 1906 in Lafayette Township, Madison County, Indiana. Vida died November 19, 1968 in Alexandria, Madison County, Indiana.
William and Clara were the parents of the following children, all born in Madison County, Indiana:
- 2 unknown children; the 1900 census lists Clara as the mother of 5 children, with 3 living
- John Herman Pierce (1895-1959) married Charlotte FERGUSON, 1 child
- Edna Muriel Pierce (1897-1968) married Virgil Lee WRIGHT, 3 children
- Edward E. Pierce (1900-1900) lived 2 months
- Lillian Pierce (1902-1921)
- unknown Pierce (1904-bef1910)
- Nehersta Edith Pierce (1910-1979) married Howard Hyde ROBERTS
- William McClellan Pierce (1913-1978) married Geneva Ruth ALDRIDGE; 3 children
- Cloyd J. Pierce (1916-1962) married Anna ______; 1 child
- Charles D. Pierce (1918-1991) married Nancy L. STEPHENS; 2 children
- Robert F. Pierce (1923- )
- Powell Edmund "Pat" Pierce (1925- ); 1 child
- James Louis Pierce (1931-2002)