Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Virgil Lee Wright (1894-1972)

Virgil Lee WRIGHT was my maternal great-grandfather. He died when I was young, and I have no memories of him. I need to interview my mother and other relatives that might have 'family stories' about him. I know that he was a farmer and that he worked for the county highway department. The farmhouse where he raised his family in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana is where I grew up as a boy.

The following facts about Virgil's life are known:
  • Birth: He was born July 6, 1894 in Orestes, Madison County, Indiana, son of John William & Ellen (KING) WRIGHT
  • Census: 1900 - appears in the household of John W. WRIGHT in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana
  • Census: 1910 - appears in the household of John W. WRIGHT in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana
  • Graduation: 1912 - graduated April 16th from Monroe Township Public Schools (8th grade) in Madison County, Indiana. He was aged 17 at the time.
  • Marriage: He married Edna Muriel PIERCE on June 19, 1915 in Alexandria, Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana. I will be posting a copy of his marriage license application later.
  • Census: 1920 - appears as head of household in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana
  • Census: 1930 - appears as head of household in Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana
  • Death: He died March 25, 1972 of hypostatic pneumonia in Alexandria, Monroe Township, Madison County, Indiana. See the link to a copy of his death certificate below.
The following facts need further research and/or documentation to complete my research:
  • Birth: Need to obtain a copy of Virgil's birth certificate from the Madison County Health Department. Though I have the date of his birth from other sources, for some reason I have failed to collect an official record of his birth.
  • Draft Records: With my new access to Ancestry.com databases, I hope to locate draft board records for Virgil.
  • Obituary: Somewhere in my files I have his obituary from the Anderson and Alexandria newspapers, but in my database have only sourced one from the Elwood newspaper. Need to fix this.
Ancestry of Virgil Lee Wright (1894-1972), Ahnentafel # 12 in my ancestry :

Ahnentafel # 24: John William WRIGHT (1860-1945); Brown Co., OH>Madison Co., IN

Ahnentafel # 48: Joseph W. WRIGHT (1838-1919); Brown Co., OH>Madison Co., IN

Ahnentafel # 96: John WRIGHT (1814-1890); Brown Co., OH

Ahnentafel # 192: George WRIGHT (1780-1853); Pennsylvania>Brown Co., OH

Ahnentafel # 384: John WRIGHT (1755-1810); Middlesex Co.,MA>Brown Co., OH

Ahnentafel # 768: Deacon John WRIGHT (1727-1772); the immigrant; Fife, Scotland to Cambridge, MA

Related blog posts:

No comments: