Friday, February 12, 2010

The Hinshaw Brothers: Edwin Michael and John Luther

The HINSHAW brothers, Edwin Michael and John Luther, were the nephews of my 3rd-great grandfather, Nathan Thomas BEALS.  They were the sons of Solomon and Elizabeth J. (BEALS) HINSHAW.  In attempting to obtain the backstory regarding Nathan's death, I found that I needed to find out more about these nephews, as the obituary stated that my 3GGF had gone to Arkansas to be involved with the lumber and sawmill business with Ed and Luther Hinshaw.

Since Nathan died in 1915, I decided to see what I could discover about Ed and Luther in the 1910 and the 1920 census records.



Edwin was living in Indianapolis in the 1910 census, living on College Avenue, listed with wife Frances and son Clark. Ed's occupation is listed as banker.  This fits with the Beals Chronology's account of him being the Indiana State Bank Examiner.

 

John Luther was living in Cicero, Jackson Township, Hamilton County, Indiana in the 1910 census.  Luther's occupation was also listed as a banker.  Note that he was living just down the street from Charles and Pearl LAMBERTSON, my 2nd-great grandparents.

 
 

By the time of the 1920 census, the brothers had left the Indiana area.  The exact nature has not yet been discovered, but what I have discovered involves a major banking scandal in the Hamilton county area during the 1915-1916 time frame.
In the 1920, Ed was a lodger in Wichita County, Texas, working as a manager at an oil company.  His son Clark was a driver for the oil company.



 

By 1920, Luther was living in Stoddard County, Missouri, his occupation was listed as a farmer.

 

Though this is just one slice of the lives of these men, I found it most interesting to find out where they were residing in the period prior to and after the death of their uncle, Nathan Thomas BEALS.  Hopefully, I will be able to find out more about their business relationship and what brought Nathan to Arkansas. 

No comments: