Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why Post Content To Ancestry.com If You Don't Want To Be Contacted?

Allow me to do the anti-Happy Dance, genealogically speaking....tonight I logged onto Ancestry.com and on a whim, did a search for Bert LAMBERTSON, a brother of my maternal 2nd-great grandfather, Charles W. LAMBERTSON.

Besides the usual census records and the Social Security Death Index records, I found highlighted a private member story, that looked interesting, as it mentioned other members of the LAMBERTSON family.  I eagerly clicked on the link, only to receive the message that "This member has chosen not to be contacted". 

How frustrating!  Why would you add content to a pay site such as Ancestry, knowing that others may be searching the same lines, and then choose to be anonymous?  It makes no sense to me....

Thanks for allowing me to vent...

2 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Travis, I have no idea why some people do that, but I have heard of others. It doesn't make sense to me. Boy, I feel your frustration though.

Travis LeMaster said...

Barbara -

Yes, it's frustrating, but a reminder to myself to be sure to share as many of the photos, etc. that I have so that the information doesn't get lost.