Monday, March 01, 2010

"Don't write this down!"

Today, while interviewing my mother over lunch,  she stated "don't write this down" and then proceeded to tell me a fascinating family story.  Of course, I just kept on writing, for someday she'll be gone and I don't want this story to pass into history.

It was a day like today, when the form was free-flowing and I allowed her to talk without interruption, that I obtained some of the most interesting tidbits about her mother's side of the family.  Now, I must go back and get the stories of her father's side as well.

I'm keeping my notes private for now, but may extract a bit or two for a future post.  I only wish I had been able to video the session for the full effect.  Perhaps some other time I will be able to do so.

1 comment:

Barbara Poole said...

Travis, Better hope your mother doesn't read your blog. Good piece, and maybe down the road ask about that topic again to see if her story changes.
Abt. two months ago, I wrote about a Cross letter where after 10 pgs., the writer wrote, "Burn this letter" of course nobody did, and it is 100 yrs. old, good info. about her grandfather's murder.
Don't do as they say, otherwise we wouldn't have such great stories!