Monday, October 25, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: Fine Canoeing here in Portland, Ind. (1912)

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.



This postcard from October 11, 1912 was written to my paternal great-aunt, Vera HALEY by L.S., possibly Lottie STUBER, her future sister-in-law.


"Miss Vera Haley, Portland, Ind., R. # 9"
"How is everything? Hope Ruth [my grandmother, Vera's sister] is better. I am pretty tired again. Was sick with a cold. Hazel has a sore throat & diptheria is thick in town. We are scared. I am going out to Belle - Sun. Write me a letter. L.S."
 "3:30 Fri Heard from John May"
The reference to "going out to Belle - Sun.", I believe is referring to her going to Bellefountaine, Jay County, Indiana on Sunday.  I'm pretty sure the surname mentioned on the side scribble is May, but I'm not sure what the relationship is to these families.


Vera HALEY married Clarence STUBER, son of Henry and Martha STUBER, of Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana on February 14, 1915 in Jay County, Indiana.


John Newmark at TransylvanianDutch started this Monday genealogy meme, which has quickly spread throughout the Geneablogger community. I am excited to be a participant and transcribe the records of my family.

No comments: