Friday, February 18, 2011

Family Recipe Friday: Slum Gully


A quick and easy skillet meal that can be easily adapted for left over Kraft dinner.   Bonnie Wright made this for lunch alot!  I don't know where she got the recipe or if she made it up but my family certainly had it alot for lunches.
 
    1 package Kraft Macaroni and cheese                            
    1 pound ground beef                                            
    1/2 cup chopped onions                                         
    1 14 1/2-ounce can tomatoes,petite diced                       
    1/4 cup ketchup                                                
    1-2 tablespoons sugar                               

           
Grandma "Peach" Wright in her kitchen
Prepare Kraft macaroni and cheese according package and set aside. (You can omit the butter and milk) Brown hamburger and onions, drain.  Add prepared macaroni and cheese, tomatoes, ketchup, and sugar.  Stir and simmer 30 minutes or until flavors are blended.  Adjust ketcup and sugar according to desired taste.  Serve with cornbread and fruit.



Family Recipe Friday – is an opportunity to share your family recipes with fellow bloggers and foodies alike. Whether it’s an old-fashioned recipe passed down through generations, a recipe uncovered through your family history research, or a discovered recipe that embraces your ancestral heritage share them on Family Recipe Friday. This series was suggested by Lynn Palermo of The Armchair Genealogist.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Slum gully is still my favorite dish. It is also my kids favorite, but we make it a bit different than Grandma did. We omit the sugar and ketchup. I still remember the day Grandma made slum gully at her house. I was so excited to have some and almost gagged when I took my first mouthful. I wasn't expecting the sweet taste that the sugar added to it. I learned that Grandma always added sugar to her recipes that contained tomatoes to conteract the tomatoe's acid.

jwrigh10 said...

I love Slum Gully, but I haven't had a prestine example in years. We never put in the sugar and modify other parts. Someday, I'll make this the way it was done originally. Btw, do you have any idea where the name came from?

Travis LeMaster said...

Not sure where the name came from.