Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Eli W. Haley to Cora B. Metzner, 1888"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
Jay County, Indiana, SS:
To All Who Shall See These Presents, Greeting:
Know Ye, that any person empowered by Law to solemnize marriages, is hereby authorized to join together, as Husband and Wife,
Eli W. Haley and Cora B. Metzner
and for so doing, this shall be his sufficient authority.
In Testimony Whereof, I, W.S. Fleming, Clerk of the Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name, and affix the seal of said Court, at Portland, this 18 day of July A.D. 1888
W.S. Fleming Clerk
State of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
This certifies, that I, R. Dubs a Minister of the Gospel joined in marriage as husband and Wife, Eli W. Haley and Cora B. Metzner on the 21st day of July 1888
This License and Certificate must be Returned to the Clerk in 90 days.
Source : Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Eli W. Haley to Cora B. Metzner, 1888"; County Marriage Returns Collection, Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
Indiana State Board of Health
Return of a Marriage to County Clerk
1. Full name of GROOM, Eli W. Haley
2. Place of Residence Noble Township, Jay Co., Indiana
3. Occupation Farmer
4. Age next Birthday 23 years. Color, White, Race Caucasian
5. Place of Birth Erie Co., Ohio Nationality, American
6. Father's Name G. W. Haley
7. Mother's Maiden Name Mary Sherrick
8. Number of Groom's Marriage, first
9. Full Name of BRIDE, Cora B. Metzner
10. Place of Residence, Wayne Twp., Jay Co. Occupation housewife
11. Age next Birthday, 20 years. Color, White Race, Caucasian
12. Place of Birth Indiana, Nationality American
13. Father's Name John A. Metzner
14. Mother's Maiden Name Clara Moulton
15. No of Bride's Marriage first
16. Married at Wayne Twonship, Jay Co. in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 21st day of Jul 1888.
17. Witnesses to Marriage G.W. Haley & J.A. Metzner
Marriage solemnized by
Minister of the Gospel
Dated at Wayne Twp. Jay Co., Ind this 21st day of July 1888.
This record of the marriage of Eli Weldon Haley (1866-1957) and Cora Belle Metzner (1868-1955) was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
These were my paternal great-grandparents. Previously, I had located a copy of the marriage license, but not the return at the courthouse.
Though I don't have an exact location for the marriage, I speculate that it took place at the home of the bride. The Metzner family were residents of Wayne Township, Jay County, Indiana.
Witnesses listed to the marriage were the father of the groom, George W. Haley, and the father of the bride, John A. Metzner. I do not know of any connection with the minister, R. Dubs.