Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage License, "Virgil C. Chew to Esther V. Abel, 1905"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
State Of Indiana, Jay County, SS:
To All Who Shall See These Presents, Greeting:
Know Ye, That any person empowered by law to solemnize Marriages is hereby authorized to join together as Husband and Wife,
Virgil C. Chew and Esther V. Abel
and for so doing, this shall be his sufficient authority
In Testimony Whereeof, I, F.L. Crowe Clerk of Jay Circuit Court, hereunto subscribe my name and affix the seal of said Court at Portland, Indiana, this 2nd day of September 1905
F.L. Crowe, Clerk
STATE OF INDIANA, JAY COUNTY, SS:
This Certifies, That I joined in Marriage as Husband and Wife, Virgil C. Chew and Esther V. Abel on the 2'' day of Sept., 1905
Source: Jay County, Indiana, Original Marriage Return, "Virgil C. Chew to Esther V. Abel, 1905"; County Marriage Returns Collection; Jay County Historical Society, Portland, Indiana.
INDIANA STATE BOARD OF HEALTH
RETURN OF A MARRIAGE TO COUNTY CLERK
1. Full Name of GROOM, Virgil C. Chew
2. Place of Residence Salamonia Ind.
3. Occupation Lineman
4. Age next Birthday 22 Color, White Race [blank]
5. Place of Birth, Salamonia, Ind. Nationality English
6. Father's Name Virgil C. Chew Nationality English
7. Mother's Maiden Name Lola M. Frasher Nationality English
8. Number of Groom's Marriage First
9. Full name of BRIDE, Esther V. Abel
10. Place of Residence, Near Salamonia Occupation Housekeepin
11. Age next Birthday 18 years. Color, White Race [blank]
12. Place of Birth Noble Tp. Nationality, [blank]
13. Father's Name Geo. W. Abel
14. Mother's Maiden Name Sarah R. Smith
15. Number of Bride's Marriage, First
16. Married at Home of Geo. W. Abel in the County of Jay and State of Indiana, the 2" day of Sept 1905
17. Witnesses to Marriage Cleo Stone & Grace Morgan
Marriage solemnized by S.A. Armstrong
at near Salamonia, this 2" day of Sept 1905
This record of the marriage of Virgil C. Chew and Esther V. Abel was located at the Jay County Historical Society in Portland, Indiana.
I have not yet been able to connect this Virgil C. Chew to other members of my family in the Salamonia area. I've written about this in a previous post.
The mention of this Virgil's father being a Virgil C. Chew as well is suspect. I know of no other similar named individuals in the area at the time. He may well be a child of one of the Chews, but I need to get into Jay County courthouse and see if there are any court records.