Thursday, September 05, 2013

William Frederick Axe (1908- ), Jay County, Indiana

Working on filling in some gaps in my database by utilizing the "Indiana Marriages, 1811-1959" database at Familysearch.org to see what updates and corrections I could find.

William Frederick Axe (1908-    ) was the son of Fred Joseph and Amanda A. (Metzner) Axe.  His marriage to Dortha Ima Bailey on September 10, 1931 in Jay County, Indiana was found in the database.  Prior to this find, I didn't have Dortha's maiden name, their wedding date, William's middle name or the exact date of his birth.  Note at the top of the marriage license, they requested that it not be published in the newspaper.


"Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V6RY-S1T : accessed 06 Aug 2013), William Fredrick Axe and Dortha Ima Bailey, 1931.
William was my paternal second cousin twice removed, our common ancestors were John and Catherine (Young) Metzner.  I have not traced his family beyond their marriage, other than to note they had at least three children.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Bill Axe is my 2nd cousin. He died of a heart attack around 1956. He was a prominent farmer, raised hogs near Westchester. He and Dortha had 3 daughters; Rosemond, Linda? and Janet. Rosemond married a guy named Bob Scott; daughter 2 became a nurse after going to training in Fort Wayne, and Janet had a beauty shop. I moved away in 1957 so lost track of them. I don't remember the 2nd daughter's name but I remember her going to nursing school. Barb Hughes

Travis LeMaster said...

Barb -

Thanks for this additional information, every bit helps!

Travis

Unknown said...

Hi Travis: I finally remembered their middle daughter's name. ..it is Judith Ann who is the nurse, and her names is not Linda. Janet is the youngest and Rosemond the eldest. Judith and Janet married as well, but I don't recall their married names. I attended Rosemond's and Janet's weddings circa 1952 to 1955.
Bill's two sisters were Ruth Axe Montgomery and Mary Axe James. I spent a lot of time with Mary when I lived in that area. Let me know if you need any more info. Barb Hughes