Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cummings Family Winston County, Alabama

While at the Genealogy Center in Ft. Wayne, I looked at the Family Maps of Winston County Alabama by Gregory Boyd for the Cummings family.  This book is one that I will need to add to my library, as I feel I will need to go back to it again and again.  Found some of Eileen’s relatives under a number of different spelling variations, including Cummins and Comeens.

Land purchases made in the pre-Civil War era help place these individuals next to each other, indicating close relationships.  For instance, Eileen’s known ancestor Wyatt Cummings, or Wiatt Cummins in the record, was in Section 27 next to Patrick Cummins as well as Riley Cummins.  Other families in the same section include Henson, Miller and Weaver.  Wyatt’s wife was Marguerite Henson.

Wyatt’s father, Spencer, had land in Section 22 and Lindsay Commens had land in Section 23, all in close proximity.  While I’ve seen some of this information before from the BLM GLO Records, it was nice to see them in a map format so that I could locate how closely the families lived to each other. 

Now I just need to work out the details and abstract the records for my files.

No comments: