Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cousin Bait Tree

I've added an additional tree to my Ancestry.com profile, a "cousin bait" tree full of everyone in my database. This includes my family, Eileen's family, my daughter's family, my stepchildren's family and every one who I'm researching that I've been unable to connect to my main tree.  The name of the current version of this tree is entitled Travis LeMaster Genealogy - August 2014.  

I'm going to use this tree to find cousin and 'hints' from Ancestry using their shaky leaves to search the records and see ones that could be matched to my database.  I'm going to keep my Rootsmagic database as my primary database and will not add any images or attach records to this new tree.

I'm also keeping my current tree online LeMaster & Allied Families which I've been using to direct folks to who have connected to me through my DNA search.  I hope to eventually replace it with a more up-to-date version.

My plan is to systematically go through this new tree, review the hints and add the records to my primary database at Rootsmagic.  Once I've been able to update it enough, I will periodically replace it.

I'm taking a bit of a hint from Randy over at Geneamusings, though I've not gone so far as to have FamilyTreeMaker installed and have it synced.  I need to really dig into the features of Rootsmagic and utilize Ancestry's computers ability to search out records for me automatically.

This summer has been so busy that I really haven't done much in the way of family history research.  Hopefully this will inspire me to get back to it.

No comments: