Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Petition of Rueben Claton, Shelby County, Ohio, 1853



While searching at the Allen County Public Library's Genealogy Center in Fort Wayne on Sunday, I started digging into some of the published books on the stacks relating to Shelby County, Ohio.  I was looking for some more evidence to confirm my theories about what happened to the widow Hannah Lemasters, widow of Lemuel Quin Lemasters.

In the book, "Complete Record of Land Sales : Probate Court - Shelby County, Ohio, 1852-1862" compiled by Gladys Dearduff and published in 1997 by the Shelby County Genealogical Society, I located the following :


1853 Nov 5 LIMUEL Q. LEMASTER estate.  Petition by Rueben CLATON, grdn of minor heirs: Martha, Eljwah & Jacob LEMASTER. Dower rights to Hannah CLATON.  Apprs: Abraham STOUT, Jesse LOW & Peter SHEPLEY.  Land : part of S 1/2 SE 1/4 Sec 33 T2 R73 (ca 40 acres) ; sold 16 Feb 1854 to Wm. HOBBY.
Though I need to dig into the actual probate records (which are online at FamilySearch), this snippet tells my that the Hannah Lemasters whose marriage I located in Shelby County to Ruben Claton on June 1, 1851 was the widow of Lemuel Quin Lemasters.  This land sale record was protecting her dower rights (rights she brought into the marriage) and names the minor children of Hannah & Lemuel, even if they did mangle the spellings.  The children were Martha, Elgiva and Jacob.

I'm so used to alternative spellings for Lemaster/Lemasters and now I'm pretty sure that Claton is an alternative spelling for Clayton.

The book was located in the stacks with a call letter of Gc 977.101 Sh4sL



No comments: