Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Virgil Wright, I.O.O.F. Initiate, 1916

"I.O.O.F. Initiation," announcement, Alexandria Times-Tribune, 25 March 1916; online images, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : accessed 29 March 2015).

I.O.O.F. Initiation -

Five candidates received the initiatory degree in the I.O.O.F. lodge last evening.  The candidates were : Luther Hall, Virgil Wright, Leslie Evernham, David A. Taylor and Charles Norris.  Three applications were received for membership at the meeting last night.

---
My maternal great-grandfather, Virgil Lee Wright (1894-1972), as an initiate at the I.O.O.F. lodge in Alexandria.  The I.O.O.F. stands for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization that still exists today. Many cities and towns have cemeteries that were started by the Odd Fellows as one of their civic works, along with caring for the poor.

I will have to write to the headquarters of the Indiana lodge to see if there are any records that mention Virgil in the organization.

No comments: