Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Linked my Rootsmagic to FamilySearch

I finally decided to take advantage of one of the features of my Rootsmagic 7 software and link my genealogy database with FamilySearch.  I'd read the helpful posts Randy Seaver had written about using the software with FamilySearch's Family Tree and am eager to see what online collaboration brings to my database.

The first step was to log into FamilySearch with my free account and then have RootsMagic do an auto-match to find matches between my database and the online database.  My database is quite large, as it contains not only my ancestors, but Eileen's and Corinne's as well as unconnected Lemaster family members.  Of the over 31,000 names in the file, RootsMagic matched 20,694 with FamilySearch.


Now that I've synched the two databases, FamilySearch has gone behind the scenes and notified me that it has new information on over 3000 of my people.  These would be hints to documents in their databases.  My next step is to start going through these hints and seeing what information they find, as well as sharing information from my database to the online tree at FamilySearch.

I already have a small tree online at Ancestry, but am looking forward to using the free tree at FamilySearch, as many of my contacts don't have an Ancestry subscription.

No comments: