Saturday, August 01, 2015

Shaky Leaves : John Aaronson (1678-1741)

John Aaronson (1678-1741) is my 8th great grandfather on my paternal side.  The surname variants are many, and include Arison and Areson.  Ancestry.com currently is showing me 5 hints for him in my LeMaster & Allied Families member tree.  Four hints are from historical records.



I will ignore the Ancestry Member Tree hints for now and concentrate on the records.

One hint was from the database New Jersey, Abstracts of Wills, 1670-1817.  


Ancestry.com. New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
Original data: New Jersey State Archives. New Jersey, Published Archives Series, First Series. Trenton, New Jersey: John L Murphy Publishing Company.
1741, Dec. 14. Aaronson, John, of Mansfield Township, Burlington Co., yeoman: will of.  Children - Benjamin, Joseph, Aron, Thomas, Elizabeth and Sarah.  Grandsons-John Atkinson and his brothers and sisters.  Negroes-Phillis and Ester.  Real and personal estate.  Wife Mary sole executrix.  Witnesses-Benja. Talman, Francis Thompson, Elizabeth Talman, Isaac DeCow medius. Proved March 3, 1742.  Lib. 4, p. 357.1742 -3, March 3.  Inventory of personal estate £498.6.10 3/4, includes bonds, bills and note £220.2.8 1/2, and negro children £30, made by Robert Rockhill, David Rockhill and Benjamin Shreve.
The names of John's children matches what I had in my RootsMagic database, though I didn't have daughter Elizabeth listed.  I descend through son Joseph (b. 1706).  There may have been more children, but at least I know that these were the ones living by 1741.

I did not know that the family owned slaves, but they must have at least owned the two women.

Another hint was from the database U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820.

Name:John Areson
Gender:(Male)
State:New York
County:Queens County
Town:Flushing
Residence Year:1700
Household Remarks:"AN EXACT LIST OF ALL Ye INHABITANTS NAMES WthIN Ye TOWNE OF fflUSHING AND P'CINCTS OF OLD AND YOUNG ffREEMEN & SERUANTS WHITE & BLACKE &C. 1698. . . . ffreemen-men".

This record gives another alternative name for John, but matches where my database had him being married to Mary, circa 1702.  

Another hint was from the database New Jersey, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1643-1890.

Name:John Aaronson
State:NJ
County:Burlington County
Township:Mansfield
Year:1707
Database:NJ Early Census Index

The other record hint was from a compiled family tree database, so I'm ignoring that one as well for now.

I've updated the information I have for John in my RootsMagic database, and I added the additional children to my Ancestry Member Tree.

If you are related and/or have any additional corrections or information, I would love to hear from your.

No comments: